Skip to main content


The answers to the following frequently asked questions may be helpful to prospective students.

Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (BLA) and Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA) Programs

What is the difference between the BLA and MLA degrees and Department programs?

The BLA and MLA are distinct programs though they both focus on learning design processes and practices as the core objective and do share commonalities in curriculum. In particular, both curricula require many of the same technical and materials courses. If joining the Department as an MLA I (3-year track), you will also take three introductory studios in the first year with the BLA class also in their first year. Beyond this initial year (in the three-year program), the BLA and MLA programs diverge with required studios and other coursework specific to each program. While both programs provide you with the practical and material training necessary to begin your career in the field of Landscape Architecture, the MLA program further engages students in an in depth exploration of the contemporary theory, history, and scholarship of the discipline. In the final year, the BLA curriculum culminates with a two-term team design-build project. The MLA curriculum ends with a capstone thesis, focused group project, or studio option that serves to integrate a focus on research and design.

The MLA program also offers concurrent degree programs with the Department of Urban Design and Planning and the Department of Architecture.

If I already have a Bachelor’s degree, do I need to apply for the MLA program?

If you do not have a previous Bachelor’s degree, you must apply to the BLA program. If you do have a previous Bachelor’s degree, you are eligible to apply to either the BLA or MLA program. While not common, we do accept students with a previous Bachelor’s degree into the professional BLA program.

Will a degree in landscape architecture from the University of Washington enable me to become a licensed landscape architect?

Our Department offers professional degrees, approved by the Landscape Architecture Accreditation Board  for both the BLA and MLA programs. This means that upon graduation you can take the Landscape Architecture Registration Examination. You will also need to work directly under a licensed landscape architect for a period of three years before you can apply for the license. If graduating from the MLA program up to two years of this period may be counted as practical landscape architectural work experience; however, this is determined on a case-by-case basis.

What is the difference between the two-year and three-year track MLA program?

Applicants with a previous degree in Architecture or Landscape Architecture are eligible for the MLA II (two-year track) program.  Though occasionally, students with an Environmental Design degree are considered eligible depending on the program and curriculum offered in the degree. The qualifications for each applicant to the MLA II program are closely evaluated by the Graduate Program Coordinator and the Department Chair to determine eligibility

Can I go to school part-time?

No. These are full-time programs. Students are expected to complete the program in no more than three academic years. Each studio class is part of a sequence and is offered once a year. The UW Department of Landscape Architecture is looking for focused people, who will stay on track, and who will complete the program on time. Some people choose to work part-time, but the job would need to be very flexible. The majority of studio courses are offered three days a week for four hours each day. You will need to arrange your schedule around your courses.

What study abroad opportunities are available?

There are many study abroad opportunities available within the College of Built Environments (CBE) and the larger University of Washington via International Programs and Exchanges. However, selecting an International Studies program through CBE usually enables students to stay on track with their studio sequence. Though not offered every year, there are popular programs in Italy, Denmark, Croatia, Mexico, China, Japan, Peru, and India among other locations. Many of the MLA students identify opportunities to integrate their travel studies with their capstone thesis research.


When do I apply to the Landscape Architecture Department?

Both the BLA and MLA programs have once a year application dates to begin in the Autumn term of the same calendar year. You must apply by January 15th for the MLA program and by the first day of Spring Quarter for the BLA program, to start the following Autumn Quarter.

Do I only apply to the Department of Landscape Architecture?

No. You must begin by applying to the University of Washington if you are not already enrolled. You would apply online to the Undergraduate School for the BLA program and to the Graduate School for the MLA program. International students should refer to the International Admissions page. If you would like counseling about the application process, advice on how your credits may transfer and/or suggestions about writing your Personal Statement to apply to the UW, contact the Undergraduate Advising Center, Academic Counselor, Kurt Xyst, 141 Mary Gates Hall, Box 352805, Seattle, WA 98195, 206-543-7682, 206-543-2551, 206-543-2550, Fax: 206-685-8299, email Prospective undergraduate students are encouraged to attend Transfer Thursdays – check the schedule for meetings.  There is Drop-in Advising at 2:30-4:00 p.m.  Bring your transcripts, if you would like to see an advisor.

Will you please send me a catalogue and application?

We no longer provide hardcopy catalogues or application materials. You may access all of our information and materials through the Department website. You can find courses offered in the Landscape Architecture Department under the Programs section of our website. The University of Washington has also put the entire catalogue for the University on their website, in the Student Guide section. The Student Guide section is also where you would find the Time Schedule of courses offered each quarter at University and the Tuition Rates. If you must have a physical catalogue of available courses offered through the University of Washington, you may purchase one at the University Book Store, 4326 University Way, Seattle, WA 98105, 206-634-3400.

What do I need to apply to the Landscape Architecture Department?

Both the BLA and MLA applications require:

  • Department Application (BLA-only; MLA applicants fill out the online Graduate School application)
  • Statement of Interest
  • Resume
  • Official Transcripts from any junior colleges, colleges or universities you have attended
  • Three Letters of Recommendation.
  • Portfolio

The MLA application also requires GRE scores and a copy of the University of Washington Graduate School Application. International students must also submit their TOEFL scores before applying to the Department of Landscape Architecture and the University of Washington Graduate School. Undergraduate International students should go to the University’s International Student site for further application instructions.

Who should write my Letters of Recommendation?

The Letters of Recommendation are an important part of the application. Choose people to write in support of your application that can speak to your skills and abilities in different capacities:

  • Professional recommendations may be from employers, etc.
  • Service recommendations may be from volunteer coordinators, directors of clubs or organizations, coaches, etc.
  • Academic recommendations may be from college faculty, high school teachers, etc.

What goes into a portfolio? What are the best portfolios like?

Portfolios are personal demonstrations of your creative skills and abilities to date. It can include examples from courses, work experience, and any of your interests and achievements. The portfolio should show things about you that your academic record, statement of interest, and letters of recommendation may not show. The admissions committee looks for your creative abilities and spatial skills, as they assess your potential in and commitment to landscape architecture. Here is your chance to show what is unique about you. People often include freehand drawings, graphics, photography, images of three-dimensional work, posters, invitations, poetry, and creative and expository writings. The list is really endless, but the material provided should focus on your creative capacity and willingness to explore and communicate through the media of your choosing. We now require that all portfolios be submitted online.

Applications to the BLA program require a physical portfolio, while the MLA requires a digital portfolio submittal, linked through the application.

What do I say in the Statement of Purpose?

This is an important part of the application that the committee uses to understand your personal and professional motives and goals. In 1-3 pages, explain your reasons for wishing to pursue a career as a landscape architect, and why you are pursuing your education through the Department of Landscape Architecture at the University of Washington. Provide a coherent and personable introduction to yourself, your motives, achievements and aspirations. Tell the committee what benefit you think you would bring to the program and the profession while addressing how the curriculum, vision, and mission of this department will support your career goals and objectives.

How recently will I need to have taken the GRE or TOEFL and what kind of scores do I need? Do I need to send the scores to the Department?

Your Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores only stay in the database for five years. If you already have a Graduate Degree, you will need to speak with the Graduate Program Coordinator to see if you need to retake the GRE. For more information about the GRE, contact them at their website or the Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ 08541-6000, telephone 1-800-537-3160 or by e-mail at The GRE is only part of the MLA Admissions process. While your scores need to be competitive, the admissions committee also  takes into consideration your work experience, transcripts, Statement of Interest and Letters of Recommendation and portfolio. International students are required to submit a TOEFL score (except applicants from Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the United Kingdom). The test scores must be less than two years old. Be sure and check the University of Washington’s website for required TOEFL test scores. Undergraduate International students should go to the University of Washington’s website to find out the required TOEFL test scores. Please do send a photocopy of your GRE and TOEFL scores to the Department. Eventually, we will be able to get both scores off of the Graduate School or Undergraduate School databases, but they are commonly backlogged and behind in entering received scores. The admission committees need those scores available to them, once they start the admissions process.

How do I sign up for ESL (English as a Second Language) courses?

International students, whose TOEFL scores are not high enough, may be required to fulfill the English language proficiency requirement by taking Academic English Program courses. You will find these courses listed on the UW website. Go to the current Quarter and then English Department. They will be listed as ENG 102, 103, and 104. The Academic English Program will give you information about the UW English language proficiency requirements for both undergraduate and graduate students, AEP course descriptions, and registration information. The course fee will appear on your MyUW account.

What Official Transcripts do you need and how many?

The Department of Landscape Architecture needs one official transcript from each college or university you have attended. This includes community colleges, extension courses, and foreign studies. If foreign studies was included on your domestic university transcript, include that in your application, so that we will not be expecting a separate transcript.

Once you have been admitted into the program, the Graduate School will need one copy of official transcripts from those schools that have granted you a Bachelor’s or higher degree. The transcripts sent to both the Department and to the Graduate School should be sent in a sealed envelope, bearing the Registrar’s seal. International students need to submit to the University of Washington’s Undergraduate or Graduate School, one official sealed copy of a transcript from each university or college they attended, at the time they apply to the University. This is to determine how the grading system of each international school compares to the University of Washington. Undergraduate students should go to the undergraduate admissions website to obtain instructions on applying to the University.

Please have one copy of your official transcripts mailed to the Department:

University of Washington
Department of Landscape Architecture
348 Gould Hall, Box 355734
Attn:  Graduate Admissions
Seattle, Washington 98195-5734 USA

If you are accepted, please have one copy of your official transcripts mailed to the Graduate School:

Standard postal mail:

University of Washington
Graduate Enrollment Management Services
Box 353770
Seattle, Washington 98195-3770

Express or courier service (FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc.)

University of Washington
Graduate Enrollment Management Services
G-1 Communications
4109 Stevens Way
Seattle, Washington  98195-3770
Telephone:  206-685-2630

Do you accept students into the programs at different times?

No. Both the BLA and MLA are competitive programs and there is a once-a-year application process and starting time. The admissions process takes about three months for each program. The required studios are offered sequentially, starting Autumn Quarter. There are classes students can be taking ahead of time, either as a matriculated or non-matriculated student. See the Prerequisite Courses and Extension Courses section of our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Who decides if I’m accepted, and what are the odds?

Both the MLA and BLA Admissions Committees are overseen by the faculty program coordinators and the Chair of the Department.  They are made up of the department faculty and up to four students. Acceptance rates vary each year and are always competitive. You should submit the best application you can, having chosen the program to which you want to be admitted.

What if I am not accepted and want to try again?

The number of people who apply and are accepted varies from year to year. You are welcome to try more than once, as you may have taken more classes, gained work experience, or simply provide a more polished application in a subsequent year. If not accepted with your initial application, you may continue to take courses that would count towards a BLA or MLA degree and try again later. Often students working towards a Bachelor’s degree will then work on a double degree. The other Bachelor’s degree would need to be nearly complete by the time you enter the BLA program, or it should be a flexible degree that allows you to take courses that work around your studio classes. Examples of double degrees past students have worked towards include: Biology; Earth and Space Science; Environmental Science and Resource Management; Program on the Environment; Geography; History; Psychology; Community, Environment and Planning; and Construction Management. If not accepted, you may also work towards Minors and Certificates, but the University of Washington will require that you declare a major by your Junior year.  Some students declare a major in a less competitive degree and continue to take a few classes in Landscape Architecture, improve their application, and then reapply.  If they are accepted into the BLA Program the second time, the other degree is dropped (hopefully having attained enough credits for a minor in that area). It is easier to obtain a double Bachelor’s degree than to finish one Bachelor’s degree and try to re-enter the UW as a Post Baccalaureate. Only a few Post Baccalaureates are allowed into the University of Washington each year.

Can I obtain a Minor in Landscape Architecture?

The Department offers a Minor in Urban Ecological Design.

Do I need to know what I want to write my thesis about before applying to the MLA program?

No, but your general area of interest should be consistent with the Department focus on Urban Ecological Design. Some students do enter the MLA program knowing their specific area of interest and retain this interest throughout the program. Some students change their area of interest once they start taking classes. Some students enter the program without a specific area of interest and develop one during the first two years of studio and coursework. MLA students should be open to considering thesis topics during their first two years in the program, gradually focusing in on their specific thesis topic. Consultation with Department faculty, to find an area of shared interest, is an integral part of this process.

How can I find out more about the Certificate Programs?

These programs are offered to students through the Urban Design and Planning Department in the College of Built Environments while others are offered through other departments. Students should plan ahead to participate in these programs and finish their Landscape Architecture degree on time. Urban Design Certificate ProgramPreservation Planning & Design Certificate ProgramRestoration Ecology Certificate

Prerequisite Courses and Extension Courses

Which prerequisite courses are required to apply to the programs?

The BLA program requires that you have taken:

  • LARC 300 – Introduction to Landscape Architecture – offered Summer and Autumn quarters.
  • LARC 352 – History of Landscape Architecture – offered Autumn quarter.
  • LARC 353 – History of Modern Landscape Architecture – offered Winter quarter.

If you would like to complete the BLA Program in seven quarters, you will need to have also taken:

  • ESRM 331 Landscape Plant Recognition – offered Spring Quarter. -OR-
  • BIOL 317 Plant Classification and Identification – offered Spring and Summer Quarters.

The following classes are highly recommended for applying to the BLA Program:

  • ART 190 – Introduction to Drawing – offered Autumn, Winter and Spring quarters -AND/OR-
  • ARCH 200 Architectural Design and Representation I – offered Autumn Quarter.
  • ARCH 201 Architectural Design and Representation II – offered Winter Quarter (prerequisite ARCH 200).
  • ESS 101 – Introduction to Geological Sciences – offered Autumn, Winter and Spring quarters. This is a prerequisite course to take ESS 315 Environmental Earth Science –  offered Winter Quarter or ESS 301 Geology of the Northwest – offered Spring Quarter.  ESS 315 or ESS 301 is a required Directed Elective for the BLA Program.

The MLA Program does not have any prerequisite courses before applying.  Taking courses is one way to stand out from the crowd and show that you have researched your decision to become a Landscape Architect.

What courses can I take before I am accepted into the program?

Courses offered to non- majors are listed below. These courses may help you decide if this is the profession you want to pursue or can help lighten your load later on, if you are accepted into the program.  These courses are open to matriculated and non-matriculated students (through UW Professional and Continuing Education/Extension per space available).

  • LARC 212 Designing the Future – offered Autumn Quarter.
  • LARC 300 Introduction to Landscape Architecture – offered Summer and Autumn Quarters.
  • LARC 322 Introduction to Planting Design – offered Spring Quarter.
  • LARC 341 Site Design and Planning – offered Autumn Quarter.
  • LARC 352 History of Landscape Architecture – offered Autumn Quarter.
  • LARC 353 History of Modern Landscape Architecture – offered Winter Quarter.
  • LARC 361 Experience of Place – offered Winter Quarter.
  • LARC 363 Ecological Design and Planning – Spring Quarter.
  • LARC 454 History of Urban Design – offered every other Spring Quarter.
  • LARC 498 Special Topic Courses – offered occasionally and often during the Summer Quarter.
  • ARCH 200 Architectural Design and Representation I – offered Autumn Quarter.
  • ARCH 201 Architectural Design and Representation II – offered Winter Quarter.
  • ART 190 Introduction to Drawing – offered Autumn, Winter, Spring Quarters.  Any basic drawing class from a Community College or other schools would help.  You need to submit a portfolio to both the BLA and MLA programs, so any art courses would help.
  • ESRM 210 Introductory Soils – offered Autumn Quarter.
  • ESRM 311 Soils and Land Use – offered Autumn Quarter.
  • ESS 315 Environmental Geology – offered Winter Quarter.
  • ESS 301 Geology of the Northwest – offered Spring Quarter.
  • ESRM 381 Management of Wildland Recreation and Amenities – offered Autumn Quarter.
  • ESRM 362 Introduction to Restoration Ecology – offered Autumn Quarter (Seattle and Tacoma). Offered Spring Quarter (Bothell).
  • ESRM 473 Restoration in North America – offered Winter Quarters.
  • ESRM 474 Restoration Problem Solving – Ecological Engineering – offered Autumn Quarter.
  • ESRM 480 Landscape Plant Science and Sustainable Management – offered Autumn Quarter on even years.
  • MGMT 200 Introduction to Law – offered every quarter. BLA students are allowed to use this for their Environmental Legislation/Law requirement.
  • CM 423 Construction Law – offered Spring Quarter.
  • ARCH 574 Design and Construction Law – offered Autumn Quarter.
  • GEOG 360 Principles of GIS Mapping – offered Autumn and Spring Quarters.
  • ARCH 380 Computers in Architecture – offered Autumn and Spring Quarters, but is usually filled by Architecture majors.  It is easier to take this course Summer Quarter, when it is also offered.

Computer skills are important in the profession of Landscape Architecture.  You would do well to be familiar with the Adobe Suite of software (PhotoShop, Illustrator, InDesign).  Community colleges offer these courses, in addition to CAD (Computer Aided Design), Rhinoceros, etc.  Hand graphic skills are important to this field but some familiarization with related computer software will help level out your learning curve. The BLA program also requires students to take one course in URBDP (Urban Design and Planning), Ecology, Forestry, Environmental Law/Legislation/Policy, and Plant Management.  See your advisor for Directive Electives suggested courses.

How can I take classes at the UW before becoming matriculated (formally accepted into the University)? How does UW Professional and Continuing Education (PCE) work?

Non-matriculated students can take courses open to non-majors through UW Professional and Continuing Education (formerly called UW Extension) at any time of the year.  During Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarters, matriculated students have first priority for enrollment. During Summer quarter, non-matriculated students have equal priority for enrollment. Any credit courses completed as a non-matriculated student are recorded on a transcript. If and when you are accepted to the University, there is a record you have taken these courses and these credits will transfer. UW PCE publishes a course catalog for courses offered through their program. Many of the Certificate Programs offered through Extension, however, are not considered credit courses. Examples include: Wetlands Science and Management, Screenwriting, Film and Video Production. However, most of the Construction Management courses are considered credit courses. Check with UW PCE to determine whether or not a course is offered for University credit. If Extension/Non-Matriculated students wish to take credit courses at the University, which are not listed in the Course Catalog, they must get permission from the professor and/or Department office. This form from UW PCE must be signed by the instructor before or during the first week of the course. The professor will sign the form only if it is a course open to non-majors and there is room in the class. Be sure and attend the first day of class. The UW must give first priority to matriculated students. Payment for the class is still made to UW PCE. Credit courses offered at the UW can be found by checking the UW website: Go to the current Quarter and then to the Department where you are interested in taking a course. You will find the SLN (Schedule Line Number – five digit number that tells the computer system which class it is). You need this number to fill out the above permission form. You will also find where and when the class meets. Students who are at a Community College or other college, can take prerequisite courses, as a non-matriculated student, before they transfer to the UW. Examples of courses often taken before transferring are LARC 300, 322, 352, 353, and ARCH 200, 201, 350, 351, 352. The UW accepts very few Post Baccalaureate students. Taking courses as a non-matriculated student has become more common. Only 12-15 non-matriculated courses  count towards a Master’s degree. However, the MLA students end up having more credits than they need to graduate, so this has not been a problem. Taking courses through UW PCE is a helpful way to explore the profession, take some of the required courses at a less expensive rate, lighten your academic load in future, and give you the opportunity to receive a letter of recommendation from an instructor. Courses are charged by the credit, plus an administration fee. Contact the UW PCE Office for more information about their program and how to register. The UW PCE Office is located at 4311 11th Ave Northeast, Seattle, WA 98105. Their telephone number is 206-543-2320. Summer Quarter you can register online.  See: or take application to 320 Schmitz Hall, Box 355840; (corner of University Ave. and N.E. Campus Parkway), Seattle, WA 98195 or call 206-543-9686.

Other Landscape Architecture or Allied Programs in the Area

What other Landscape Architecture Programs are there in the Seattle or Pacific Northwest region?

There are no other professional Landscape Architecture programs in the Seattle area. Other Pacific Northwest accredited landscape architecture programs are: BLA at Washington State University; BLA, MLA and Ph.D at University of Oregon; BLA at University of Idaho; and MLA at University of British Columbia. See the ASLA (American Society of Landscape Architecture) Accreditation website for other accredited landscape architecture programs in the United States and Canada. There are two Horticulture programs offered in the Seattle area, at Edmonds Community College and South Seattle Community College. These are not professional Landscape Architecture programs. They are considered Vocational programs and very few of the credits from these programs transfer to the UW. We have had students come from these programs, as they indicate a strong interest in the field. You still need to take the prerequisite classes and University of Washington Areas of Knowledge requirements, in order to transfer to the UW. To determine how your credits from these programs would transfer, contact the office of the Academic CounselorUndergraduate Advising Center

Financing Your Education

How long am I considered an out-of-state student?

In order for University of Washington students to be considered residents for tuition purposes, they first must be able to prove that they are U.S. citizens, have U.S. permanent resident cards, or have a qualifying visa (A, E, G, H1, I, K or L). To be classified or reclassified as residents, for tuition and fee purposes, students must establish a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington primarily for purposes other than education for the period of one year immediately prior to classification as residents. Nonresident students who are enrolled for more than 6 credits a quarter will be presumed to be in the state of Washington for primarily educational purposes. Such period of enrollment shall not be counted toward the establishment of a bona fide domicile of one year in this state unless the students prove they have, in fact, established a bona fide domicile in this state primarily for purposes other than education. See the “Understanding Washington State Residency” website for more information.

How much is tuition?

Tuition costs vary from year to year. The most updated costs can be found at the UW website student guide and

Can I take required classes ahead of time?

Yes. There are some classes you could take ahead of time as an Extension student. See the Prerequisite Courses and Extension Courses section of this Frequently Asked Questions portion of our website. If you move here early to establish residency, Extension courses offer a less expensive way to take courses ahead of time.

Are Scholarships or Student Assistant positions available?

Department scholarships are primarily awarded to students in their second and third years. Students apply during Winter quarter. While the Department does all it can to provide as many scholarships as possible, the funding is limited, and the Department works with students to identify and secure outside funds. Students are emailed throughout the year with scholarship opportunities from other organizations. This information is also posted to the Scholarships and Jobs board outside the Department office. The Grants & Funding Information Services Center (GFIS)  can help with Internet Searches for grant and scholarship money. They offer workshops for faculty, staff and students to do their own web searches. The Department offers several hourly student assistant, salaried graduate student assistant (GSAs), and research assistant positions. The students for these positions apply Spring Quarter and are selected by the faculty teaching the course. Depending on grants, positions are also available through the Green Futures Lab.  A few of these positions provide tuition and a monthly stipend while others are hourly. It depends on the course and the number of students enrolled. Some students are also able to identify student assistant opportunities in other departments in the University. Recent appointments for our students have come from the Departments of Biology, Forestry, and the Program on the Environment. You are encouraged to contact other departments concerning these opportunities independently. Undergraduate scholarships are listed on the University of Washington website for the Undergraduate Scholarship Office.

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Contact the Financial Aid Office at the University of Washington. You will need to file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), which is the basic financial application that students (and their families) must complete to be considered for Financial Aid. Please note that the FAFSA must be received by the Federal Application Processor by February 28th, the application priority filing deadline. It is recommended that it be mailed by February 15th. Physical applications are also available from the Financial Aid Office in Schmitz Hall (Rm 105).

Employment in the Profession

Are Internships available?

The Department offers both an internship and practicum program for students. These programs allow students to work for university credit and/or pay in a professional setting. The programs are structured to introduce students to the wide variety of activities involved in professional practice. There is a strong professional community in the Seattle region, offering students the opportunities for positions in design firms, non-profit organizations, and public agencies in landscape design, planning, construction, and policy-making. Students may participate in an internship or practicum after their first year in their respective program. It is recommended that students complete CAD coursework before applying. Students can earn up to 6 credits for 20 hours of work a week for 10 weeks, and 3 credits for 10 hours a week for 10 weeks. Both the internship and practicum programs have outstanding success rates with participating professionals and students. Many students have been offered permanent employment with their host firm or agency upon graduation.

Are there paid internships?

Paid internships are available through the professional community but are not eligible for university credit. Students can negotiate a wage earned for any practicum or internship work done over the required time for which university credit is received. Often a practicum or internship can lead to a summer paid internship.

Does the Department offer job placement services after graduation?

The practicum and internship programs are the Department’s only formal job placement programs. In addition students are generally well connected and networked into the profession through their coursework by the time they graduate. Alumni and employers contact the Department and individual faculty when they have positions available. The Department then emails any job opportunities to all students and posts the announcements on the Department job board. We are proud to note that most all of our graduating students are able to find jobs soon after graduation in landscape architecture firms or allied design and planning professions. U.S. News and World Report have listed Landscape Architect and Urban Planner in the Top 50 Careers for 2010. According to this report, the number of Landscape Architects  areexpected to jump 20 percent between 2008 and 2018 and Urban Planners are expected to also to grow 19 percent from 38,400 jobs in 2008 to 45,700 jobs by 2018.

I would like to be a golf course designer. Is this a good program for me?

Golf courses are quite popular and there is certainly a need and growing interest to design them in a more ecologically sustainable manner. However, the University of Washington’s BLA and MLA programs do not offer any courses geared specifically to golf course design. We recommend contacting the American Society of Golf Course Architects for more information.

Visiting the Department

What is your policy for visiting the Department?

We highly recommend it! Prospective students are always welcome to visit the Department and sit in on classes. To make best use of your time here, it is best to contact the Department by phone or email to schedule appointments with the Chair and professors, and to find out when and where classes are offered. We also offer an MLA Open House in Autumn Quarter (typically October), and a couple BLA Information meetings each autumn, winter, and spring.  Some coincide with Transfer Thursdays in the Undergraduate Advising Office.  Check out the department’s website for the dates of the next open house and info meetings.

Where can I stay, if I come for a visit to the Department?

The College Inn is right across the street from Gould Hall, where the Department is located. You can contact them at 206-633-4441. The website tells you which buses to take from the airport. Their address is: 4000 University Way N.E., Seattle, WA 98195. Other accommodations and transportation info for the city can be found at the Seattle-King County Convention and Visitor’s Bureau website.

Where do I look for housing, if I move to Seattle?

You can contact UW housing through their website. Stevens Court, Mercer Court, Cedar Apartments, Elm Hall, Alder Hall, Poplar Hall, Terry Hall, Lander Hall, and Commodore Duchess Apartments are walking distance to Gould Hall (where most of the Landscape Architecture classes and the Department Office are located). By September, housing around the University District can be difficult to find. So if you are interested in living in this neighborhood, make sure to look ahead of time. However, housing opportunities can be found throughout the area (check out Wallingford, Fremont, Ballard, Eastlake, Green Lake, Greenwood neighborhoods).  Here are some sources for housing: